The majestic brick building on the northwest corner of Moorpark Avenue and High Street once belonged Moorpark’s first Fire Chief, Ira G. Tanner, who settled in Moorpark in 1913. Tanner owned and operated the Mission Garage and gas station, which prior to 1917, when the brick facade was built, was just a wooden building. Tanner also served on the board of trustees when Moorpark Memorial Union High School was built in 1920. In the year 2000, the building was added to the historical register of California. Today it houses Cesar Carpets and First Impression Upholstery. The photograph below was taken in 1917, shortly after the brick facade was completed.
All images, unless otherwise indicated, are the property of the Moorpark Historical Society and may not be copied or published without written consent.